Chelyabinsk State Medical Institute was established by the Order of People's Commissariat of the USSR № 403 from 22.06.1944 on the basis of the evacuated Kiev Medical Institute. One hundred and forty seven lecturers and workers remained in Chelyabinsk after the faculty staff was again relocated to Kiev. There were 7 Doctors of Medical Sciences, 31 candidates of medical sciences and 10 postgraduate students among them. At that time the Institute was located in a former high school building in Communa street, 35.
For more than twenty-five years Chelyabinsk medical institute provided training at only Medical faculty. More and more doctors graduated from it annually. Nearly all regional medical services were staffed with medical institute graduates.
In response to the needs of public health care in pediatricians, the institute administration together with the regional health department got the permission from the Ministry of Public Health to establish a pediatric faculty in 1970.
In order to help the young workers and rural young people and ex-servicemen to enter the institute a preparatory department was established in 1969. It was headed by I.A. Simonov for 22 years. “The Faculty for workers” ceased its activity in 1991.
Year 1978 was an important milestone in the history of the institute. The institute was awarded the First Class degree for its successful development of educational, scientific activities and the material facilities.
In 1991 the Institute established its own clinical hospital with an out-patient and in-patient department.
In 1995, in accordance with the order of the State Committee for Higher Education, the Ministry of Public Health and Medical Industry the institute was renamed to Chelyabinsk State Medical Academy (ChelSMA).
In 1996 the Faculty of Higher Nursing Education and Management was established. This is the faculty of the academy which provides the evening form of tuition, and since 1999 - the correspondence one.
In 1998, the branch of the Dentistry Faculty of the Ural State Medical Academy (Yekaterinburg) began its work at ChelSMA. It became an independent faculty of the academy in 2000.
In 2000 the Disease Prevention Faculty was established at ChelSMA.
To implement the policy of continuing education the academy administration established a medical college with full-time and evening forms of tuition in 4 specialties in 1999.
The dean’s office of the postdiploma education with multidisciplinary advanced training courses and post-professional training has been functioning since 1996.
Chelyabinsk Medical Academy has also become a leading research center in the region. During the last decade (1994 - 2003) 51 doctors of medical sciences and 301 candidates of medical sciences have been trained in ChelSMA. Today the faculty includes 230 candidates of sciences and 64 Doctors of medical sciences, 71 associate professors and 61 professors, 1 academician of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences and one corresponding member of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.
In 1965 the Higher certification commission made a decision to found the first Thesis defense committee at our institute. The first doctoral dissertation was defended by V.V. Turygin. Ten years later, in 1975, there were already three Thesis defense committees at the institute. The Thesis committee for Internal Medicine was headed by professor D.A. Glubokov, for Surgery - by professor Y.I. Malyshev, the head of the committee for biochemistry, microbiology and pathologic physiology was professor L. J. Ebert. In 1993 the fourth committee for psychiatry headed by professor V.S. Grigorievsky began its work. At present, the academy has three Thesis defense committees which assess oral defense and written thesis of both ChelSMA medical scientists and those from the entire region.
In 1979 the State Committee for Publishing authorized the institute to perform publishing activities.
Scientific advances of the academy scientists are widely applied in clinical practice. The academy scholars participate in international research programs.
The history of academy has been marked by constant growth and construction. The first project, a residence hall, was completed in 1957.
The institute campus was gradually renovated and expanded its area in Vorovsky street. In 1967 the main building of the Academy was opened, which was located in Vorovsky street, 64. In 1977 the Morphology building was opened. In 1978 the Central Research Laboratory was built. In 1993 a new nine-storey building was opened.
In 1960-1980s three residence halls were built. One of them offers rooms for married students. Moreover, ChelSMA provides rehabilitation summer camp on the lake Elovoe.
Students are involved in extra-curricular activities whilst studying at ChelSMA. Many of the academy’s traditions still flourish. They range from a large-circulation newspaper publication (since 1957) to participation in festivals "Student Spring". In 1996 a students construction team was arranged to work on the new soil. Later the team "Neuron" worked on construction sites of Chelyabinsk (1967 - 1972, 1980 - 1982) and Kurgan (1973 - 1978) regions. The trade-union committee is reviving the student construction teams movement now.
Chelyabinsk state medical academy is well-known for the activity of the KVN team “Uyezdny Gorod”, which won the final game and took the first place in Russia in 2002.
Rectors of Chelyabinsk Medical Institute and Chelyabinsk Medical Academy
1) Alexander Nikolaevich Fedorovsky - the first director of the institute from 1944 to 1950, professor.
2) Georgy Dmitrievich Obraztsov - director of the Institute from 1950 to 1959, professor.
3) Petr Mikhailovich Tarasov - rector of the institute from 1959 to 1966, Honoured Doctor of the Russian Federation, associate professor.
4) Daniil Alexandrovich Glubokov - rector of the Institute from 1966 to 1995, Honored Scientist of Russia, professor.
5) Yuri Stepanovich Shamurov - rector of the Academy from 1995 to 2005, honored worker of Higher School of Russia, doctor of medical sciences, professor, academician of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, Peter's Academy of Sciences, International Academy of Ecology, Man and Nature Protection Sciences.
6) Iliya Ilyich Dolgushin - rector of the Academy from 2005 up to the present, Corresponding Member of RAMS, honored scientist of Russia, doctor of medical sciences, professor.
Pro-rectors of Chelyabinsk Medical Institute and Chelyabinsk Medical Academy
1) Alexander Borisovich Katsnelson - deputy director for Education and Science from 1944 to 1947, professor.
2) Alexander Markovich Brooke - deputy director of clinics from 1944 to 1946, associate professor.
3) Pavel Evgenyevich Lukomski - deputy director for educational work from 1947 to 1949, deputy director for educational and scientific work from 1949 to 1950, professor.
4) Ivan Danilovich Korabelnikov - deputy director for scientific work from 1947 to 1949, professor.
5) Kira Aleksandrovna Mescherskaya - deputy director for educational and scientific work from 1950 to 1952, professor.
6) Natalia Nikiforovna Klemparskaya - deputy director for educational and scientific work from 1952 to 1953, professor.
7) Abram Kharitonovich Minkovsky - deputy director for educational and scientific work from 1953 to 1956, deputy director for scientific work from 1956 to 1960, professor.
8) Porksheyan Ovagim Khristoforovich - deputy director for educational work from 1956 to 1958, professor.
9) Daniil Aleksandrovich Glubokov - deputy director for educational work from 1958 to 1966, professor.
10) Lev Yakovlevich Ebert - deputy director (later vice-rector) for scientific work from 1960 to 1986, professor.
11) Petr Demyanovich Sinitsin – vice-rector for educational work from 1966 to 1986, professor.
12) Yuri Stepanovich Shamurov - vice-rector for educational work from 1986 to 1995, Professor.
13) Viktor Vasilyevich Turygin - vice-rector for scientific work from 1986 to 2005, professor.
14) Oleg Fedorovich Kalev – vice-rector for medical work and economic issues from 1990 to 2005, professor.
15) Iliya Ilyich Dolgushin – vice-rector for educational work from 1996 to 2005, professor.
16) Iliya Anatolievich Volchegorsky – vice-rector for educational work from 2005 up to the present, professor.
17) Eugeny Leonidovich Kurenkov - vice-rector for scientific work from 2005 to 2010, professor.
18) Sergey Vasilyevich Yaitsev – vice-rector for medical work, postgraduate and additional professional education from 2005 up to the present, professor.
19) Larisa Fedorovna Telesheva – vice-rector for scientific work and international relations from 2010 up to the present, professor.